Tuesday 29 April 2014

The Birth of 'Blather-Attack'

My acclaimed performance as
'Mary' in 'The Birth of Jesus' (Part 1).


Good afternoon friends,
(I thought about avoiding this time-specific greeting, seeing as many of you will be reading this blog in either the morning, the evening, or if you're a student probably the middle of the night. However it is afternoon while I write this inaugural blog and therefore I feel compelled to bow to the clock and greet my many readers with this honest salutation. If I can't be honest, what can I be?)

Welcome to Blather-attack (Blather pronounced like Bladder, replacing the d's with a 'th'), the musings and inner-cranial meanderings of one of Suffolk's finest theatrical minds, no it's not Ralph Fiennes or Captain Birdseye, tis I, Gus Blathermouth, Founder & CEO of the All-Male Amateur Dramatics Society of Creakebottom (aka the 'AMAD-SC', pronounced Ah-mad-suc). Should you be a stranger to culture, I will have mercy on you and enlighten you to our artistic reputation.

Quite simply, the AMADSC has become one of Suffolk's leading lights in amateur entertainment, and this was recognised formerly by the presentation of the award "Suffolk's Fifth most Celebrated Amateur Theatre Company" (2001). Of course being fifth we received no official trophy, (I blame politics) but the intent was clear, the Ipswich Herald were saying "You guys are good, ruddy good, and if you carry on you'll be the best" which I'm happy to say that we are now. The best.

Our productions are infamous. Amongst many highly acclaimed productions such as the 1999 graphic-thriller 'Oklahoma!' to the 2004 slapstick comedy 'A Clockwork Orange'. But above all in Suffolk we are known for inventing a new genre, namely the 'Popsk-peare', which consists of a Shakespeare play interpolated with popular music. Successful productions have included 'Simply Tempest' (2002), 'Ham-let it be' (2003), 'Much Agadoo About Nothing' (2005) and 'Twelfth Stranger in the Night' (2007). The controversial 'Othembrella' was an experimental piece accused of racial bigotry but in reality was much more prejudice towards black umbrellas than it was towards men of African origins. As with a lot of our work, it proved to be ahead of its time.

Since 2012 we have been touring the England with our production of 'Nativity in Creakebottom', an autobiographical piece telling of our success performing at the now defunct Suffolk Theatre Festival (2011) in our "astonishing" and "shocking" new play 'The Birth of Jesus' in two parts. We'll be touring again this year so keep your eyes peeled and your wallets brimming.

"So why a Blog?" I hear you question inquisitively. Well friends, sometimes we succumb to personal desire and sometimes we succumb to the desires of others. I am a cultural philanthropist, and while I would rather keep myself to myself, the overwhelming demand poured upon me from local residents and national fans has become too great to reject any longer. Who am I to deny the baying throng of social demand? Who am I to prioritise trifling matters such as washing and paying utility bills over the cultural hunger of England's rumbling stomach? I am a public servant and I must bow to the need of the greater good and write a self-promotional blog once a week.

Introductions over, let the Blather begin.

Each week will feature a unique "ASK GUS" section, where someone will have asked me a question during the week and I will endeavor to answer it. Please note however the question MUST fall into one of the following FOUR categories:

a) Theatre related
b) AMADSC related
c) Love-life related
d) Jesus related (it may be that I refer you to Rev. Wesley Biggins if my theology muscles prove too weak for the weight of your questions)

I will answer no questions on the politics of UKIP or the progress of my long-term battle with genital warts. For questions regarding the former, please read the Daily Mail. For questions regarding the latter, please watch this space for info on my companion Blog 'Gus' Nuts' for all things wart-related.

To submit your questions, simply post them in the comments section below, or on the Slingshot Theatre Facebook Page.

And with that, raise the sails, climb the rigging and defecate on the frontispiece, all aboard the good ship Blather!
(I will mention that whenever I write 'Blather' I am referring to myself, Gus Blathermouth, and not as some have second-guessed a black piece of leather, or an Olde English Word for copulation).

1 comment:

  1. Dear Gus, Thank you for your frankly moving account of your "call" to Suffolk. As someone who has lived in exile over the border in Cambridgeshire for most of my life, looking longingly into Suffolk but only venturing there for occasional shopping trips in Newmarket, I admire your courage, and envy you greatly. Would you be able to share with us why you chose Suffolk as your base of operations and, if I may say so, the fortunate recipient of your ministrations?

    Many thanks, M Hawes

    ReplyDelete